Trading Standards Prosecutions
Trading Standards – Private Defence Solicitors – Manchester & London
Monarch Solicitors, Manchester & London, protect and defend individuals and businesses from trading standards prosecutions. We are known for providing a personal service, understanding needs and delivering results.
We routinely deal with cases involving goods worth hundreds of thousands of pounds and understand the devastating effect an investigation of prosecution can have on retail or wholesale business. Therefore, we take a commercial approach to minimise the impact of both the financial and reputational damage and seek damages where our client has been wrongfully accused.
A trading standards prosecution can be brought by:
– The local authority regulatory body
– The Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
– The Food Standards Agency
– Health & Safety Executive
Powers – They have far reaching powers of investigation that can have a huge and detrimental effect on your day to day business operations, cash flow, business reputation and personal life. Their powers include:
– Contact suppliers, distributors and retailers.
– Suspend the sale of goods or require you to withdraw them from sale
– Seize and test goods
– Interview individuals under caution / PACE.
– Raid your business and home
– To bring Criminal Prosecutions – in the Magistrates or Crown courts.
– Sanctions include fines, restraint orders, confiscation proceedings and imprisonment.
Offences – The most common offences include:
– Breach of The General Product Safety Regulations 2005
– Breach of The Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008
– Breach of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
– Breach of Trade Marks Act 1994
– Breach of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
– Breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
It is important to seek legal advice at the earliest possible opportunity if you are subject to an investigation or as soon as you receive a summons. We can help you find flaws in their case.
Prevention – We also regularly provide upfront legal advice to businesses to ensure that they understand and comply with their legal obligations.
For a free 30-minute consultation with one of our expert Trading Standards Solicitors in Manchester on 0161 820 8888 or in London on 0207 592 0806 – for nationwide coverage.
Alternatively, let us call you by filling in our online enquiry form below, for a call back.
Please note that we only deal with privately funded cases and are not able to advise on entitlement to legal aid.
We Offer Expert Advice On:
- HMRC Seizures
- Condemnation proceedings
- Non Restoration appeals
- Judicial Review
- Civil Evasion Penalties for customs duty
- Anti Dumping Duty
- Inward Processing Applications/Relief
- Tariff-Preference claims
- Remission Claims
- Repayment Claims
- Tariff Classification/BTI Appeals
- POCA Receivers
- Notice of Seizure
- Seizure Information Notice
- Customs civil penalty warning
- Prohibited or Restricted Goods
- Cash Seizures
- Civil Evasion Penalties – quantum/liability
- General Penalties and interest charges
- Assessment appeals – under declarations, over-payments
- Repayment Claims
- Compound Interest Claims against HMRC
- Mitigation & reasonable excuse appeals
- Registration appeals
- Requirements for security appeals for removal or mitigation
- MTIC fraud
- Rate of VAT Disputes
- Rejection of warehousing applications
- Property VAT
- HMRC Internal Reviews & Appeals
- First-tier Tribunal
- Adjudicator Complaints
Customs and Excise:
Tax – Reviews & Appeals:
View Our Team
Guides & Articles
Freehold Purchase – Top 10 Facts for individual house owners. Manchester, London, UK Wide, Lease Enfranchisement. Historically the word “enfranchisement” meant
Our Top 10 Tips for fast, cost-effective and sensible dispute resolution A dispute is not welcomed but for a business
BLIGHT: ARE 2 PROPERTIES SEPARATED BY A LANE A SINGLE HEREDITAMENT Case: Harding and another v Secretary of State for
JCT 2016 Editions – Available from 30 June 2017 The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) has announced that it is publishing