Latest Northern Powerhouse Developments
News & Events
We are recognised as specialists in the Northern Powerhouse and our Managing Director, has been invited to comment on Radio 4’s Today programme.
The Northern Powerhouse is a proposal to boost economic growth in the North of England by the 2010-15 coalition government and 2015-20 Conservative government in the United Kingdom, particularly in the “Core Cities” of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle. The proposal is based on urban agglomeration and aims to reposition the UK economy away from London and the South East.
The proposal involves improvement to transport links, investment in science and innovation, and devolution of powers in City Deals. MP for Stockton South, James Wharton, was appointed as minister responsible for the proposal in May 2015. Examples of the proposals include a complete regeneration of Liverpool’s Chinatown and the creation of the first U.K airport city in Manchester. Additionally, Manchester will get a new £110 million theatre and arts venue called ‘The Factory’ to be built on the former site of Granada Studios, in the St John’s Quarter of Manchester.
For a free 30 minute consultation to consider how the Northern Powerhouse will affect your business, with one of our expert commercial lawyers in Manchester, please contact us on 0161 464 8033 or fill in our online enquiry form.
Monarch Solicitors have been selected as finalist in the Young Business and Law firm of the year categories, for this year’s UK Northern Powerhouse Conference.
PM Theresa May announces a cash injection of £556m for the Northern Powerhouse project.
The money will help fund projects including:
- A new £10m innovation fund for small to medium businesses in Greater Manchester and Cheshire
- Flood defences in Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale, Craven and Kirklees
- A £72m cash boost for the Liverpool City Region to help create jobs and growth
- The Goole Intermodal Terminal to link the town’s existing rail, sea, motorway and waterway links on one site
- A modern conference centre and hotel in Blackpool at the town’s Winter Gardens
- Further regeneration of Hull city centre, during the city’s year as UK City of Culture
- An International Advanced Manufacturing Park in South Tyneside and Sunderland, expected to create 5,000 jobs