Trading Standards Prosecutions
Trading Standards – Private Defence Solicitors – Manchester & London
Monarch Solicitors, Manchester & London, protect and defend individuals and businesses from trading standards prosecutions. We are known for providing a personal service, understanding needs and delivering results.
We routinely deal with cases involving goods worth hundreds of thousands of pounds and understand the devastating effect an investigation of prosecution can have on retail or wholesale business. Therefore, we take a commercial approach to minimise the impact of both the financial and reputational damage and seek damages where our client has been wrongfully accused.
A trading standards prosecution can be brought by:
– The local authority regulatory body
– The Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
– The Food Standards Agency
– Health & Safety Executive
Powers – They have far reaching powers of investigation that can have a huge and detrimental effect on your day to day business operations, cash flow, business reputation and personal life. Their powers include:
– Contact suppliers, distributors and retailers.
– Suspend the sale of goods or require you to withdraw them from sale
– Seize and test goods
– Interview individuals under caution / PACE.
– Raid your business and home
– To bring Criminal Prosecutions – in the Magistrates or Crown courts.
– Sanctions include fines, restraint orders, confiscation proceedings and imprisonment.
Offences – The most common offences include:
– Breach of The General Product Safety Regulations 2005
– Breach of The Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008
– Breach of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
– Breach of Trade Marks Act 1994
– Breach of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
– Breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
It is important to seek legal advice at the earliest possible opportunity if you are subject to an investigation or as soon as you receive a summons. We can help you find flaws in their case.
Prevention – We also regularly provide upfront legal advice to businesses to ensure that they understand and comply with their legal obligations.
For a free 30-minute consultation with one of our expert Trading Standards Solicitors in Manchester on 0161 820 8888 or in London on 0207 592 0806 – for nationwide coverage.
Alternatively, let us call you by filling in our online enquiry form below, for a call back.
Please note that we only deal with privately funded cases and are not able to advise on entitlement to legal aid.